Posted on | October 8, 2014 | Comments Off on “Unconditional” a picture frame using Art Mechanique Hobnail Bezels and Iced Enamels
Hi! Jennifer Cabic greeting you today…
Since I have been a part of the 2014 ICE Resin® Creative Design Team, I have been dabbling in mixed media. I have always wanted to play around with gel mediums and acrylics and make picture frames. The Mixed Metal Hobnail Bezels are a perfect accent to the frame and really add nice dimension!
Tools and Materials:
Iced Enamels™ Ivory Relique and Pewter
Iced Enamels™ Medium
German Glass Glitter
Wooden Picture Frame – craft store
Large Hobnail Heart Bezel
Medium Rectangular Hobnail Bezel
Acrylic Paint in various colors
Craft Heat Gun
2. Mix black and dark blue acrylic paints with gel medium and apply to front of frame, creating texture where you want by applying heavier in spots.
3. Apply Iced Enamels™ Medium along outer perimeter of frame. Sprinkle Iced Enamels™ in Pewter and melt with craft gun. This makes a fantastic texture!
4. Lay stencil of choice on frame. Using a stiff business card, credit card or a palette knife, apply a generous layer of gel medium over stencil. Gently lift stencil off and let gel medium dry. You can speed up the drying process by gently heating with craft gun.
5. Using a sponge brush, apply different colors of acrylic paint lightly onto the dried gel medium. Also apply some of the paint over the textured perimeter of the frame. Wait until each color is completely dry before applying next color to keep the colors vibrant and not turning muddy.
7. Cut ephemera for bezels. Apply Paper Sealer to both sides and let dry. Once dry, glue into the bottom of the bezels.
8. Mix ICE Resin® according to directions. Using a disposable paintbrush, paint a thin coat onto hobnails. Pour a thin coat of resin over the ephemera and let dry for 24 hours. If you would like to use rhinestone chain, this is a good time to add where you want it.
9. Mix another batch of ICE Resin® and apply a thin coat into each bezel. I printed out words onto a transparency and trimmed to size for each bezel. Lay the transparency over the thin coat of resin making sure there are no trapped bubbles. Once in place, fill up the bezels with resin and let dry for 24 hours.
10. Using a strong, permanent glue, adhere the bezels to the frame and let dry. Once dry, it is ready to be used, insert your favorite picture!