Posted on | November 7, 2014 | 21 Comments
Welcome to the 4th Annual Handmade Holidays Blog Hop! A few years ago we were looking online for handmade gift ideas and thought it would be great if there was a resource dedicated JUST to handmade gift ideas. Enter the Handmade Holidays hop! We’ve gathered over 100 of our creative blogger friends in the craft industry as well as some of our fellow product manufacturers to bring you a plethora of inspiring gift ideas you can make now to give to your friends, family, and colleagues. Pin and bookmark these ideas for this holiday season and to use throughout the year! Each day of the hop features approximately 30 gift projects and you can “hop” from one blog to another to check them all out.
Handmade Holidays Hop 2014 – Christmas Ornament
By The ICE Prince (John Creighton Petersen)
I absolutely LOVE to create ornaments for the Holidays – especially since I only have 13 Christmas Trees in my house! The ornaments that I cherish the most are those which are handmade, by myself or friends. Every year my art group has a Holiday get together where we all swap handmade ornaments. And thinking that I might actually be a little bit proactive this year, I thought that I’d experiment with some of the great supplies from our partner companies participating in this year’s Handmade Holidays Hop. Traditionally my colors for the Holidays are blues and silver, but I thought that I’d switch it up with this project and go a little more traditional with red, green and gold.
ICE Resin®: ICE Resin, Paper Sealer, Large Hobnail Circle Bezel, ICED Enamels Relique Garnet, ICED Enamels® Medium, Art Mechanique German Glass Glitter Chartreuse and Gold Glitz, brush, stir stick and measuring cup
Dies: Snowflake Pendant, Snowflake Bliss, Standard Circles Large
Miscellaneous: dimensional adhesive
Die Cutting Prep Work:
• cut one large circle from Happy Holly Day paper
• cut one large snowflake with 2013 Snowflake Pendant from Rowlux Moire Gold film
• cut one large snowflake with Snowflake Bliss from Rowlux Sea Glass Red film
• cut one each of the two small snowflakes from 2013 Snowflake Pendant from Rowlux Sea Glass Red film
• cut one small circle from the Standard Circles large from Rowlux Moire Gold film
Creating the Bezel refer to image for steps
1. Mix ICE Resin® following instructions.
2. While the resin is setting up, fussy cut holly leaves (2) from the Happy Holly Day paper.
3. Paint ICED Enamels Medium onto one of the brads, then heat set with ICED Enamels Relique Garnet – allow brad to cool completely.
4. Add a thin layer of ICE Resin into the bottom of the bezel, then place the die cut Moire Gold circle into the bottom.
5. Begin layering die cut pieces – larger red snowflake, larger holly, smaller holly, smaller snowflake, Garnet brad.
6. Fill the bezel with resin, adding german glass and glitter to add bling.
7. Allow to cure completely.
Creating Resin Paper
1. Edge the circle die cut Happy Holly Day piece with ICED Enamels Medium.
2. Heat set with ICED Enamels Relique Garnet.
3. Using the side of the stir stick, spread an even coat of resin across the backside of the paper.
4. Turn paper over and repeat for the front side, adding glitter as desired.
5. Allow resin to set completely.
Assembling the Ornament:
1. Layer large Rowlux gold snowflake onto the resin paper, securing with dimensional adhesive in the middle.
2. Adhere Rowlux red snowflake onto the gold snowflake.
3. Embellish bezel bottom hoop with a small bow.
4. Secure ribbon to the top bezel for hanging your ornament.
5. Adhere completed bezel, centered, onto the base layer of the ornament.
Are you ready for lots more creative handmade gift ideas and projects??
Follow along on our blog hop! Simply click on each of the links below to be taken to that post with additional information and photos on how to create a handmade gift project. Have fun and pin away!
Follow our Handmade Holidays Gift Ideas Pinterest board for even more inspiration!
A huge thank you to our sponsors for this hop – please visit their blogs below and follow them. And be sure to come back tomorrow for another 30+ amazing Handmade Gift Ideas!
Clearsnap || Ellison Educational Equipment || Walnut Hollow || Graphic45 || Westcott || ICE Resin || Therm O Web || Rowland Industries || Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L || Pink and Main || Elizabeth Craft Designs || The Buckle Boutique || Neat and Tangled